1. Be accountable. Yes this means writing or tracking things every single day. Yes it’s basically a part-time job.Yes it can be tedious. Does it help? Absolutely. You need to know if you are getting enough calories, proteins, carbs, and fats. No excuses on this one people. Try something like myfitnesspal or sparkpeople. Oh and those fancy smart phones we all have? There are tons of apps on them to track food.
2. Drink lots of water. I am not talking about crystal light. Straight up h2o. If you must flavor it– think real lemon, orange slices, limes, or even grapefruit. I promise you crystal light is not helping with any kind of weight loss.
3. Healthy Substitutions. Use them. Some of my favorites. Almond milk for cow milk. Greek yogurt for mayo/sour cream. Big beautiful lettuce leaves for bread. Peppers make great stuffers for anything. Spaghetti squash has officially replaced pasta in my house. Try thinking outside of the box. You don’t have to give up anything, just try to make it healthier.
4. Finding a FUN exercise that you can do throughout the week. Biking? Swimming? Zumba? Tennis? Find one activity that gives you a workout, but doesn’t feel like WORK. I have to keep my workouts fun so I don’t get discouraged. My drug of choice right now? Swimming.
5. No self-hatred! Getting healthy and losing weight greatly benefits our quality of life. It’s not just about looking good! It’s about being in control, being and staying positive. It’s about encouraging others in their journey. If you wake up in the morning and call yourself a fat cow, how is that at all going to help yourself? The body is amazing. It might be a bit overweight, but YOU can change that. You don’t have to put yourself down. Discover who you are. Let yourself soar. You will be shocked at how much you can learn about yourself. Stay true to you. There is only one of you. If you are sick of being depressed because you are overweight….. CHANGE IT. But don’t keep the vicious cycle of self hating/talk up.
I hope these simple tips help. Do you have a great tip? Leave it in the comments for everyone!