Shepherd’s Pie. I decided to make a few health swaps to make it healthier. Instead of ground beef, or lamb? I used extra lean ground turkey. Instead of white fluffy mashed potatoes? I used orange fluffy sweet potato mounds. I loaded it up with veggies, and stuffed it into a pepper for something different. My last name is Shepherd so here is my Shepherd Peppers recipe!
For two servings-
- 2 large peppers
- 8 oz of extra lean ground turkey
- 1 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup of the following- carrots, squash, mushrooms, tomatoes, onions. All chopped and set aside.
- 3 Garlic cloves chopped
- 1 small sweet potato
- 1/4 cup of shredded cheese (optional)
- 1 tsp of sriacha
- 1 sprinkle of parmesan (optional)
- Chop all the veggies. Carrots, Onions, Garlic, Tomato, Squash, Mushrooms. You can use whatever veggies you want.
- Boil water in a large pan. Chop sweet potato into large chunks. Boil sweet potato until soft. About ten minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon, and put in a small dish. This will be the topping. You should also cut the peppers into halves, deseed them, remove stem, and add them to same pot of boiling water. Cook for about 3-5 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- While boiling, start a saute pan, add the 1 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil on low heat.
- Add ground turkey. After a few minutes, add the veggies in. You can season now however you want. Garlic powder, a bit of sea salt, paprika, black pepper are all good. I also added hot sauce and a bit of parm cheese.
- Cook through for a few more minutes. Add shredded cheese into mixture at the very end if you like. Mix. Remove from stove.
- Turn oven on 350.
- Take the sweet potatoes that you cooked, and mash them together. You can add a bit of milk or whatever you want to make them creamy.
- Take pepper mixture and stuff into pepper halves. Pipe sweet potato mash on top- You can use a ziploc bag, or a spoon.
- Bake for about 10 minutes.
380 calories, 14 grams of fat, 34 carbs, 35 protein. This is a super hearty meal. It’s a good way to get a ton of veggie servings in. The fat is from the olive oil and cheese, which of course you can omit. Enjoy.