I have made a lot of crab related recipes, but this one takes the cake. I was lucky enough to use extremely fresh crab caught in my backyard. The better quality the crab, the better tasting. Please do yourself a favor. MAKE THESE. I want to call them Get yourself a husband stuffed mushrooms. I think I will. Make these for a boyfriend or girlfriend and I promise they may marry you.
What I used-
- 1/2 box of small white button mushrooms. You can use whatever kind of fresh mushrooms you want. De-stem them and set the caps aside. You want to keep all parts of the mushrooms.
- 6 oz of the freshest crab meat you can find. Or canned is fine.
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 small shallot or a few tbsp of chopped white onion
- 1/2 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 mini bell pepper or 2 tbsp of chopped bell pepper
- 3-4 tbsp of light sour cream or you could use plain greek yogurt
- balsamic vinegar
- 2 servings of whatever kind of cheese. I wanted low fat so I used Mozzarella.
- sea salt, ground pepper, old bay, garlic powder to taste
- Preheat oven to 350.
- After you have carefully removed stems from caps, dice the following 1 clove of garlic, mini bell pepper, shallot or onion. Dice the mushroom stems also, but set aside.
- Warm up the olive oil on low heat in a saute pan. Add the garlic, onions, and peppers.
- Once that cooks for a few minutes, add the chopped mushroom stems.
- If you need to add a bit more olive oil you can. Or just add some extra non stick spray to the veggies.
- Season with the sea salt, pepper, garlic powder.
- Once cooked down until soft, remove from heat.
- Stir in 3-4 tbsp of the lightened up sour cream or greek yogurt. You can make it as creamy as you like.
- Add the cooked crab meat. Sprinkle a few shakes of old bay and stir.
- Taste! If you think it needs something else, add it!
- Now you want to stuff the mushrooms and bake. I cooked them two ways. In a glass pan, and on top of a baking sheet with foil. You can cook them in whatever you have. What I did was put some balsamic vinegar on the bottom, placed each cap gills side up on top of that, and stuffed them. About 1 tbsp stuffing for each mushroom. Next I took some cheese, cut them into itty bitty squares, and topped the crab.
- Bake for about 20 minutes. If cheese is not golden brown, you can always pop the broiler on to make the cheese cook.
ENJOY. I love these little things. Warning ADDICTIVE.
The low down-
|Total Fat||14.2 g|
|Saturated Fat||6.6 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||1.3 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||2.8 g|
Dietary fiber- 5
These would be fantastic as an appetizer, or for an entree. Enjoy!