For the base I used 4 cups of reduced sodium vegetable broth + 1 can of reduced sodium chicken broth.
- 2 red vine tomato diced
- 1 carrot diced
- 1/4 white onion diced
- 2 garlic cloves diced
- 1 small squash diced
- 1 small red pepper diced
- 1 small green pepper diced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 package of low sodium taco seasoning
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 2 organic chicken breasts with all fat removed
- 1 small serrano or jalapeno pepper
- cilantro to top (optional)
- mexican cheese to top (optional)
- handful of tortilla chips (optional)
- 1 tsp of extra virgin olive oil, or pam spray
- 1/2 cup of salsa
- 1 tbsp of lime
- few slices of avocado (optional)
First Chop all of your vegetables set aside.
In a pan add the oil and add all of the vegetables and seasonings + salsa + lime. Let that cook down a bit. After the veggies begin to soften, add the diced chicken.
Add stock and let simmer on medium heat for about 20 minutes. After twenty minutes taste and add whatever else you think it needs. I added 1 extra handful of cilantro inside of the soup while it was still cooking. Once it is ready add a bit of cilantro, cheese if you like, and of course a handful of baked tortilla chips.
Makes a ton of soup. One of my new favorites. YUM!