I found a package of processed, frozen black bean burgers in the freezer. I started reading the label. I was overwhelmed by how many ingredients they had listed. It was over thirty five. I could not believe it! I have made vegetarian burgers in the past, but I knew that I could make a even better one. Get this? It’s vegan! I found a few recipes online, and they all basically seemed the same. Keep in mind this recipe is super versatile though! You can use ANY KIND OF VEGGIES YOU WANT. Celery? Sure. Artichokes? Sure. You get the point.
Makes 4 burgers-
- 1 can of drained and rinsed black beans
- 1/4 cup of bread crumbs
- 1-2 Tbsp of sriracha or hot sauce. This adds the perfect spice. If you don’t like hot you could use 1-2 tbsp of ketchup or 1-2 tbsp of dijon mustard.
- 1 Tbsp of salsa (optional) I used mango salsa and it added some sweetness. You could use whatever you want or skip it all together.
- 2 large cloves of garlic.
- 5 mini bell colored peppers. Or use 1/2 cup of whatever colored peppers you like. I used red, orange, and yellow.
- 1/2 cup of onion.
- 1/2 cup sliced mushrooms.
- 1 medium carrot peeled.
- 3 Tbsp of fresh chopped herbs. I used cilantro and basil. You could literally use any kind of herb that you like.
- 1 Tbsp of oil to saute veggies in. I used coconut oil, but you could use whatever you want.
- Cumin, Sea Salt, Cracked pepper, garlic to taste. Whatever you want really.
So as you see the ingredients are super versatile, and you probably already have all of them right in your house. Only 12 ingredients? I would take that over the processed 35 any day of the week!
- Get started by chopping up all of the veggies. Garlic, Onion, Carrot, Mushrooms, and Peppers.
- Heat 1-2 tsp’s of oil in a saute pan. Add veggies. Add seasonings. I used a bit of cumin, sea salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Stir and cook until soft.
- Oh yeah Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- In the meantime, drain and rinse black beans.
- Add to a mixing bowl and begin mashing with a fork. It takes a little bit of work! You could use a masher tool also.
- Once beans starts to break down, add the 3 tbsp’s of herbs + the salsa + the hot sauce/ketchup/or mustard. Next add in the bread crumbs and stir in.
- Once veggies are done cooking and cooled, add to black bean mixture. Stir together.
- Make patties. It will be a little messy! Put on a nonstick baking sheet, or a baking tray lined with tinfoil. Make sure it’s nonstick!
- You should get 4 patties out of this. Bake at 425 for about 20 minutes. You can flip them after 10 minutes, but be CAREFUL. They are crumbly!
- Enjoy on a salad, on a bun, or by itself.
Here are the nutritional facts.
Amount Per Serving
|Total Fat||4.5 g|
|Saturated Fat||3.3 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||0.2 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||0.3 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||33.6 g|
|Dietary Fiber||7.6 g|