BACON DONUTS?!!?! I know right. This is a low carber’s dream.
Stats – 320 calories, 26 grams of fat, 2.4 carbs, 0.3 fiber, 21.3 protein.
This is not an every single day recipe. Perfect for a special breakfast or if you are just craving a damn donut! No guilt.
So what you need for 2 servings-
- 4 tbsp of butter
- 2 or 3 tbsp of coconut oil or olive oil
- 3-4 slices of bacon
- 1 egg
- 1/3rd cup of vanilla or plain whey protein
- 1 oz sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 small mini bell peppers
- Precook bacon in a non stick pan. This is very important. You do not want to use a non stick pan. My first batch stuck right to the bottom in a regular pan!
- Melt butter on stovetop or in microwave.
- After bacon is drained and cooled, chop into small pieces.
- Chop peppers into mini pieces.
- Add chopped bacon, peppers, melted butter, 1 egg, 1/3rd cup of vanilla protein powder (or plain), and sharp cheddar cheese to bowl.
- Mix well.
- Heat the coconut or olive oil in your pan on medium high heat.
- Spoon mixture gently into oil. It should sizzle. If it’s too hot it will pop, be careful and adjust your temperature.
- Spoon oil over top of donut while it’s cooking.
- Once the bottom starts turning golden brown, GENTLY flip it over with a metal spatula.
- Cook for another few minutes until other side is golden brown.
- Remove from oil and drain on a paper towel.
That’s it. You can make 6 mini donuts, or 4 large fritter/donuts. To make it sweet you could add a bit of sugar free syrup and a little butter. OR keep it savory and add some sour cream and salsa.
I was really impressed with these little donuts. They have that great fritter taste, bacon bits, sweet, and savory all at once. Try this for sure!!