I love a burger and fries. It’s one of my favorite guilty treats. I found a great way to have the burger and fries with half of the guilt though!
I found these great chicken burgers from weight watchers. 140 calories, 4 grams of fat, and 25 grams of protein. Along with the burgers I picked up a bag of these fries which are 100 calories and 1.5 grams of fat. You could serve your burger on lettuce, plain, or even a whole wheat roll if you like. If you are feeling crazy add a slice of turkey bacon! Sautéed mushrooms, jalapeños, onions. All of those would go great! See you later five guys!
Makes four burgers-
- 1 lb of ground turkey 93% lean or 99% lean.
- 2 tbsp of bleu cheese
- 1 egg beaten or 1 egg white.
- cracked pepper and sea salt
- 1 overflowing cup of spinach chopped
Mix ingredients together in a mixing bowl. Form 4 patties. If you wanted to make mini sliders, or meatballs you could do that also.
On the stove heat a large pan to medium heat. You could use a bit of oil if you like, but I just use organic non stick spray. Add burgers. Cook for about 5-7 minutes per side or until cooked through.
I am serving mine with avocado, sweet onion, and raw red pepper. Use whatever toppings or bread you like!
Nutritional Info per 1 burger no toppings.
Calories- 221, Carbs 3, Protein 28, Fat 12 (or less if you use 99% fat free turkey), Sodium 348 mg.
I found a package of processed, frozen black bean burgers in the freezer. I started reading the label. I was overwhelmed by how many ingredients they had listed. It was over thirty five. I could not believe it! I have made vegetarian burgers in the past, but I knew that I could make a even better one. Get this? It’s vegan! I found a few recipes online, and they all basically seemed the same. Keep in mind this recipe is super versatile though! You can use ANY KIND OF VEGGIES YOU WANT. Celery? Sure. Artichokes? Sure. You get the point.
Makes 4 burgers-
- 1 can of drained and rinsed black beans
- 1/4 cup of bread crumbs
- 1-2 Tbsp of sriracha or hot sauce. This adds the perfect spice. If you don’t like hot you could use 1-2 tbsp of ketchup or 1-2 tbsp of dijon mustard.
- 1 Tbsp of salsa (optional) I used mango salsa and it added some sweetness. You could use whatever you want or skip it all together.
- 2 large cloves of garlic.
- 5 mini bell colored peppers. Or use 1/2 cup of whatever colored peppers you like. I used red, orange, and yellow.
- 1/2 cup of onion.
- 1/2 cup sliced mushrooms.
- 1 medium carrot peeled.
- 3 Tbsp of fresh chopped herbs. I used cilantro and basil. You could literally use any kind of herb that you like.
- 1 Tbsp of oil to saute veggies in. I used coconut oil, but you could use whatever you want.
- Cumin, Sea Salt, Cracked pepper, garlic to taste. Whatever you want really.
So as you see the ingredients are super versatile, and you probably already have all of them right in your house. Only 12 ingredients? I would take that over the processed 35 any day of the week!
- Get started by chopping up all of the veggies. Garlic, Onion, Carrot, Mushrooms, and Peppers.
- Heat 1-2 tsp’s of oil in a saute pan. Add veggies. Add seasonings. I used a bit of cumin, sea salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Stir and cook until soft.
- Oh yeah Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- In the meantime, drain and rinse black beans.
- Add to a mixing bowl and begin mashing with a fork. It takes a little bit of work! You could use a masher tool also.
- Once beans starts to break down, add the 3 tbsp’s of herbs + the salsa + the hot sauce/ketchup/or mustard. Next add in the bread crumbs and stir in.
- Once veggies are done cooking and cooled, add to black bean mixture. Stir together.
- Make patties. It will be a little messy! Put on a nonstick baking sheet, or a baking tray lined with tinfoil. Make sure it’s nonstick!
- You should get 4 patties out of this. Bake at 425 for about 20 minutes. You can flip them after 10 minutes, but be CAREFUL. They are crumbly!
- Enjoy on a salad, on a bun, or by itself.
Processed burger in the back with tons of ingredients, fat, and sodium. Natural black bean burgers in front. What would you rather have?
Here are the nutritional facts.
I used some random ingredients to make these Mexican inspired turkey burgers. Here is what I used-
1 package of lean ground turkey, handful of cilantro, 1 tbsp of sriracha, 1/2 of a chopped cuban pepper, chili powder, black pepper, oregano, cumin, garlic powder, minced onion, and 1 handful of reduced fat mexican cheese.
Mix ingredients well. Fry in a large pan with some non cook spray until heated through. Makes 4 patties. Perfect for tomorrow’s lunch!